Friday, July 30, 2010

2 Cheap Dinner Hits

I have always been a meal planner. I like knowing what we're having and then making my grocery list. (Which reminds me I need to make my list for this weekend.) This is becoming a little more difficult since I'm now feeding 3 times the amount of people! I wanted to share 2 dinners from this week that not only were hits with all the kids (and the man), but were cheap too.

The first dinner was grilled pork tenderloin, corn on the cobb, and mac and cheese. The mac and cheese came from the pantry and the corn came from our weekly csa share, so no money out of pocket this week for those. The pork was on sale so I got 2 pounds for about $6. Then I bought a McCormick grill mates apple wood dry rub. We fed all 5 of us plus S's friend. There weren't any leftovers of course, but everyone got plenty to eat!

The second dinner was breakfast burritos with fruit. We had about half a container of strawberries and blueberries left from munching on them all week, so I cut up the strawberries and tossed them all together. For the burritos I used:

Tortillas
Eggs (2 per person)
Shredded Mexican Cheese
1 Green Pepper (chopped)
Red Potatoes (3-4 per person depending on size)- chopped
1 Onion (diced)
Bulk Maple Sausage
Taco Sauce

Saute the sausage and remove from pan. In sausage drippings saute pepper, onion, and potatoes until soft. In separate pan scramble the eggs. When veggies are done add sausage back in and toss. Layer tortilla, cheese, egg, and sausage mix and roll.

For this all I had to buy were the eggs and sausage! The tortillas were left from big A's birthday last week as was the cheese and taco sauce. The veggies all came from the csa. We even had leftovers! There was enough sausage mix for 2 more burritos. I ate it last night for dinner as hash. Since the big boys were with their mom it was a leftover kind of night.

No comments: