Monday, September 27, 2010

Jeans

We had a cold snap come through yesterday. It was cloudy, rainy, and cool for the first time since spring. It won't stay this way because it's the midwest, so it will be 85 one day and 65 the next for a while. When we got home from little A's soccer game, S asked if he could go play at a friend's. B told him yes, but to put on a hoodie first since he was in shorts and a short sleeved t-shirt. He started arguing back about not having one that fit and why the 12 (no joke) we pulled out wouldn't work for him. They were either too big, too small, or he didn't want to wear someone else's. B offered a compromise and asked him to put on jeans at least. S then started arguing that he didn't have any jeans.

First off, not true. We pointed out the 2 brand new pair with tags still on them in his room. Those weren't good enough and he wasn't sure they fit. Why I don't know. They're the same size as the shorts he had on his body during the debate. We told him to try them on. That didn't happen. S finally just left because we were ready to strangle him. Fine, be cold and grumpy. Apparently that's what he wanted anyway.

Second, this really irks me since a month ago I brought home a laundry basket full of jeans from a coworker. He barely looked through it and decided he didn't want any of them. Apparently S "doesn't do" hand-me-downs or used clothes. These were all higher priced name brand jeans too that were barely worn. All the other kids and B and I do hand-me-downs so not sure why S thinks he's too good for it.

Third, he refuses to go shopping with anyone to actually pick stuff out. B, S's mom, B's mom, and I all try to bring S stuff and he never likes it. You can only return so many times to a store before they cut you off, not to mention it's a pain in the butt. He needs to either go to the store, try stuff on, and tell you what he likes or wear what is brought to him. (This summer I brought him a big bag of 5 complete outfits. He decided to keep 2 pairs of shorts. I took the rest back. 2 weeks later he asked if I'd go back and get 2 of the returned outfits back because he changed his mind. Uh, no. They've already sold them.)

Here's what I think the real issue is. He's in 7th grade. He wants all Hollister, Abercrombie, and Nike stuff plastered with logos. Sorry dude, but that's not going to happen. We're supporting 4 kids with a 5th on the way. You're not an only child of wealthy parents. There is a set amount of money for each need. If you want to spend $50 on a pair of jeans that no one will see the tag on then you will have 2 pairs of pants and nothing else.

I know this is a phase and middle school is rough, but this is getting old REALLY fast. I think a monetary budget lesson needs to occur. I'd love to take him shopping and explain you have x amount of money. Now, pick out fall clothes. Then I'd like to make him stick with what he picks and have him do his laundry when he doesn't have enough clothes and has to wash them every other day. I think this would be a great lesson and he'd get over the expensive jeans. (No one sees the tag. Save the plastering of logos for things people see if you really feel the need to be walking advertisement.) Now, how do I get him to actually go?

No comments: