Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Bring on the finger pricks

I'm 27 weeks pregnant tomorrow which means I got to take the glucose tolerance test last week. Originally my ob wasn't going to have me take it. I had gestational diabetes with Little A, a family history on both sides of diabetes, and I follow the pattern (but miss the cut-off barely) for hypoglycemia not pregnant. Because of all of those factors he was going to have me just do the diabetes diet automatically. Last week I saw another ob in the practice because mine was on vacation. This ob suggested I take the 1 hour test just in case I passed. Well, I didn't.

The nurse called this afternoon to let me know I failed and to set up the 3 hour follow up glucose test. I declined. I explained my ob's initial plan and said I'd rather skip the 3 hour and just go on the diet. Since it's been 4 years since I was pregnant and had to deal with this with Little A, I requested to see the dietitian again. I need a refresher on using the glucose monitor, what my testing numbers should be, how many carbs I can have, and other details.

With Little A my diet consisted of lots of protein and veggies. I'm not sure what I'm going to do this time since I have aversions to poultry and can only manage to get other meats down in small quantities a limited number of times per week. I guess I will become a creative rabbit. I'm also interested to see how the boys take this. I'm not cooking 3 seprate meals (one for me, one for Little A, and one for them). Everyone gets to diet along with me!

Overall, it's not that bad. It's only a few weeks. I just hope that I can diet control it again and not have to go on insulin. This is the fear that keeps me from cheating.

No comments: