Monday, August 30, 2010

Meeting with the dietician

I had my gestational diabetes meeting with the dietitian this morning. I'm apparently 5 lbs lighter with this pregnancy than I was at this time with little A. Of course I started heavier so I guess I really was a heifer with little A!

There are some new guidelines and findings since I had gestational diabetes last. Apparently now they suggest no juice, fruit, or milk in the morning because that's when the placenta is at the height of sugar production or something like that. A team of health care providers in California started a program called Sweet Success just for gestational diabetes and women who have pre-existing diabetes who are pregnant. I can't wait to check out their resources more. I wish this had been around with little A!

The goal with any diabetes is to manage your carbs which includes sugar. I get 2 carbs for breakfast, 3 for lunch, and 4 for dinner. 1 for each snack and 3 snacks per day. Each carb exchange is worth 15 grams, so for breakfast I can have 30 grams of carbs. This is basically an english muffin with some peanut butter.

The dietitian gave me some great protein suggestions too since I'm still having some meat aversion. I have no limit on eggs even though they are higher in cholesterol since I'm not eating other proteins. (Normally it's suggested not to have more than 3 egg yolks per week.) She also suggested cottage cheese at meals. It has as much protein as meat also. It is higher in sodium though.

Speaking of sodium, they want me to watch my sodium intake this time too since I ended up with pre-eclampsia with Little A as well. Sodium can of course increase blood pressure. Women with gestational diabetes are more likely to develop pre-eclampsia. This was the worst part of my labor and deliver, so I'd really like to avoid it this time if possible.

I have to test my blood sugar 4x per day 1x per week and then at least 1x per day throughout the week. The dietitian had me test in the office since it's been 4 years since I've done it. I was at 117 1.5 hrs after breakfast and I need to be under 120 2hrs after a meal. I guess tomorrow will be my full testing day which includes a fasting test.

She gave me a big packet of meals just for gestational diabetes too so I'm excited about that. It will be nice to be able to have some suggestions and not eat the same thing over and over. She did tell my my breakfast this morning was perfect; cinnamon raisin english muffin w/ peanut butter.

No comments: