Thursday, August 5, 2010

Happy Birthday! Here's your bill.

Yesterday was my grandma's birthday. She turned 71. I find it amusing that B's parents are older than my grandparents. I guess that's what happens though when he's the youngest child, I'm the oldest, and there are 11 years between us. Baby E will have great-grandparents younger than her grandparents.

Anyway, my mom called because B, little A, and I are going to visit her next week. My grandparents and aunt are going as well. We all live in different states so this is quite the feat to get everyone in the same place at the same time. This is also the first time B is meeting my family. It is a 13 hour drive according to mapquest. With a pregnant woman who has to pee all the time and a 3.5 year old we figure it will definately take longer. Therefore, we decided to leave Friday night and break up the trip a bit rather than trying to do it all in one day.

So, my mom tells me when she calls "since you're leaving Friday you'll be here early on Saturday." I remind her that we really will not and that it will take us longer than it takes her and her husband to drive up here. She responds "well, you'll be in by 2 or 3." Um, no. Let's say we drive 4-5 hours Friday night. That stops us around midnight. Then we'll probably have 10 hours on Saturday with breakfast, lunch, potty stops, etc. Even if we are out of the hotel by 6am (which isn't going to happen) that's still 4pm.

Mom tells me she wanted to take everyone out for dinner to celebrate my grandma's birthday and we needed to be in early so we could go. I suggested they not count on us being there, but if we were we'd see if we were up to it after the drive. Then she asks if we can pay for our own food. I tell her it depends on the restraunt. I don't want to say yes and be suprised with a $100 check for 3 people. She tells me about $15 a person and then goes on to say she and my aunt will split my grandma's dinner, but everyone else (including my grandfather) has to pay for their own!

How do you plan a family birthday celebration for someone when (1) you can't afford it and (2) not everyone is going to be there?! I almost fell off the couch when she told me she was going to make my grandpa pay for his own. Who does this?!

I don't see why she doesn't just make a cake and we can have it with dinner on Sunday night when everyone is there and rested. I think sometimes my mom has lost her mind.

After she talks some more she gets irriated and tells me "Fine. We just might go without you then." Um, ok. This is what I tried telling you 30 minutes ago.

No comments: